Hilary Rowland: The Woman Behind Urbanette®
Hi! I’m Hilary Rowland, the person behind all of this feminist fabulousness (jk).
As an equal rights activist, my purpose is to help educate and inspire women on the critical issues of self-esteem and female leadership. In keeping with these goals, I decided to use Urbanette® profits to help women in developing countries become entrepreneurs.
In a two-dimensional digital world, I’ll do my best to give you an idea of who I am.
- I launched the first ever online “magazine” back in 1995. Yup, you’re looking at it 😉 Here’s a bit of the magazine’s (and my) history. I’ve been writing since I was little, and I also contribute to a number of publications, and have a regular column (about urban life and my travels), on the Huffington Post.
- I’m a country girl at heart, living a city girl’s life. I grew up in farm country Ontario, Canada. When I was 18 I moved to Toronto. A few years later I decided I wanted more adventure in my life, so I moved to Manhattan. Over the 10 years I spent in NYC, I went from knowing nobody to feeling like a genuine New Yorker… then, after a decade in NYC, my husband and I decided to try out life in Lyon, France.
- My father is an author, journalist, and professor of business ethics and philosophical thinking. He has passed along those strengths (obsessions) in me.
- Richard Branson is my idol and mentor. He’s an incredibly inspiring man and I wish I got to hang with him more often. Follow his blog here.
- I was a geek in high school (kinda still), and had a hard time fitting in.
- I’m very happily married to my soul mate (they exist!) He’s a contributor to Forbes, Conscious Magazine, and others (including Urbanette!)
- Yes, I’m friends with a lot of Hollywood movie stars and heartthrobs… I don’t really have much in the way of advice to give on that front, other than move to NYC, where you can’t spit without hitting a celeb.
- I wish that the world were like Shallow Hal, and that people’s outer representations reflected how much love and empathy they have in them.
- I have green eyes with a ring of amber, and I’d love to use that eyelash enhancing stuff, but I’m afraid it’ll turn my eyes completely brown (and I recently realized that castor oil does the same thing without the side-effects!).
- I love animals (which is why I’m vegan) and know that my life wouldn’t have been the same without my super lovable cats. (Rescue, don’t buy!)
- I have way too much clothing, though I bought it almost all on eBay. I love a bargain
- I’ve been an entrepreneur since I was a teenager. My brain is always running and if I wasn’t super busy I’d probably be bored silly.
A few personal articles to start with:
- Advice For My 20-Something Self
- My Transformative Morning Routine
- 5 Things I Learned From Having Cancer
- How I Fell in Love in Mexico
- 5 Steps to Finding Lasting Love in NYC
- Hilary’s Tips: 10 Ways I Made My Wedding Easier
- 5 Reasons I Love Being a Vegan
Check out hashtag #HilaryRowland for pics and videos on all the social media sites. xo